Hidden 60-km Southwest of Hanoi among lush paddy fields, limestone karsts and picturesque villages, the Perfume Pagoda is the perfect one-day trip from Hanoi for nature lovers. Enjoy a leisurely 3-hour sampan boat cruise through rice fields and ‘Halong Bay’ style rock formations before heading up to the Perfume Pagoda. The pagoda itself is a set of shrines and temples built into a limestone hillside.
After breakfast, your guide will pick you up then depart for the 2-hour journey to the Perfume Pagoda. Enjoy the scenic drive through the rich farming land of the Red River Delta, to one of northern Vietnam’s holiest sites. On arrival, you will board a private rowing boat for the relaxing hours’ cruise down the Yen River, along the way stop at Den Trinh (pagoda of representation).
The Perfume Pagoda is not just one pagoda but many shrines and temples built into a limestone hillside. The first of these is at the foot of Huong Tich Mountain, which means ‘Mountain of Fragrant Traces’. From here, disembark and follow a stone flagged path to Thien Tru, ‘Pagoda Leading to Heaven’. This pagoda was built in the seventeenth century and dedicated to the goddess Quan Am, symbolically marking the start of the journey to 'heaven'. Continue the walk uphill to Huong Tich Chu, ‘Pagoda of the Perfumed Vestige’. The pagoda is one of the most important to the Mahayana Buddhists of Vietnam.
Note: As an option there is a cable car which can be taken instead of walking (not included).
At the top you will be rewarded with a fine view and a picnic lunch. Following lunch, you will start the journey back down the mountain. After that, you will return by rowing boat to the vehicle for transfer back to Hanoi, arriving Hanoi in the late afternoon.
Proper walking shoes must be worn for this tour. The trek can be strenuous for some as the path is fairly steep. As an option there is a cable car which can be taken instead of walking (Extra cost on client’s own account).
During Tet (Vietnamese New Year; Feb – Apr) and the three months preceding it, the Perfume Pagoda is crowded with pilgrims and travels and is not recommended. For further details, please contact one of our travel consultants.
- Free Vietnam Visa Intivation letter.
- Private door-to-door pick-up & drop-off services.
- Travel in an appropriate private air-conditioned vehicle with an experienced safe driver.
- The services of experienced English-speaking guides as indicated in the itinerary
- Boat cruises as specified in the programme.
- Lunches (as specified in the itinerary) in the best local restaurants, picnics where suitable restaurants are not available
- All sightseeing tickets.
- VAT and other taxes
- 24/7 hotline support guaranteed
- International flight tickets and airport tax.
- Lunches and dinners, except as specified above.
- Drinks, gratuities and personal expenses.
- Travel insurance
- Surcharges for Peak seasons (if any)
- Vietnam visa stamp fee
- Other services not mentioned above.