This wonderful itinerary takes you over the Tram Tom, or Heaven’s Gate Pass to explore the other side of Fansipan and the Hoang Lien Mountain Range. Often when Sa Pa is shrouded in cloud and fog, this side is clear and blue. The newly paved road descends 26Kms through one of the most picturesque and inspiring valleys in the North where you’ll glide down through the fresh mountain air to the Binh Lu Junction. Turning off this main road will add a moderate challenge to your adventure. The sometimes rocky road meanders along the base of the mountain range past old growth forest and through the villages of Thai, H’mong and Lu ethnic minorities. The area sees few tourists, so expect plenty of curious faces and smiling children shouting ‘Hello!’ as you stop to meet the locals along the way.
Tour Route: Hanoi – Lao Cai – Sapa – Binh Lu – Than Thuoc – Than Uyen – Van Ban – Lao Cai – Hanoi
Day 1: Hanoi – Night train to Lao Cai (Driver Pickup)
A car will arrive to take you to Hanoi railway station in time to board the 21.10 p.m. overnight sleeper to Lao Cai. You will spend the night on the train.
Day 2: Lao Cai - Sapa - Than Thuoc (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Guide)
You’ll arrive in the early morning, where you’ll be met and taken up into the mountains by car to Sapa, a small town perched on the mountainside opposite Mt. Fan Si Pan, Vietnam’s highest peak. Once at Sapa, you can check in (if the room is available, normally check in time is after 12.00), or have breakfast and refresh up before starting the trip.
Firstly, your support vehicle will transfer you out to a starting point at the 'Silver Waterfall'. Then it's a 3km climb up the highest mountain pass in Indochina where you'll stop to marvel at the spectacular view of Hoang Lien Mountains before free-wheeling down 26km to Binh Lu Junction. Heading off the main road, its 20kms of sometimes rocky road to Than Thuoc, a charming little tea town where you'll spend the night in a local guesthouse.
Day 3: Than Thuoc - Than Uyen (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Guide)
After breakfast, your support vehicle will transfer you up a steep mountain pass to the starting point where you'll glide down 20kms to Than Uyen through valleys where the old growth forest, tea plantations and verdant rice paddies surround you during your ride. After lunch in Than Uyen, you'll have a wonderful afternoon as you explore some single track trails to visit local minority villages, including the interesting Lu people with their distinctively black teeth. Arrive back in Than Uyen for dinner and overnight in the local guesthouse.
Day 4: Than Uyen - Lao Cai (Breakfast, Lunch, Guide)
After a good breakfast, ride 40kms around the other side of the stunning Muong Kim valley with time for lots of stops to take pictures of the local hill tribe people and the stunning scenery there. Arrive in Van Ban for a late lunch then hop on the minivan to drive back to Lao Cai to take refreshment before catching the night train back to Hanoi. You will spend the night on the train.
Approx: 2 hours driving/ 4 hours cycling/ 1-hour lunch
Day 5: Hanoi (Breakfast, Driver Pickup)
You will arrive in the early morning then you will be transferred to your hotel for refreshment and have breakfast. Tour Ends
Please note: hotel for refreshment is upon your request.
- Free Vietnam Visa Intivation letter.
- Private door-to-door pick-up & drop-off services.
- Travel in an appropriate private air-conditioned vehicle with an experienced safe driver.
- Road travel in an appropriate private vehicle for transfer and back up when cycling as itinerary (supplement luggage van to carry bike and baggage).
- Good quality touring cycles for all cycling days in the programme.
- Drinking water for cycling days as itinerary.
- Snack, soft drink and local fruits for cycling days.
- Simple first aid kit.
- Breakfast and accommodation sharing a twin or double room.
- Return train tickets: Hanoi – Lao Cai (air-conditioned soft four-berth cabin, good local standard in Fanxipan Train carriage or similar)
- The services of experienced English-speaking guides as indicated in the itinerary
- Lunches and dinners (as specified in the itinerary) in the best local restaurants, or picnics where no suitable restaurant is available.
- All sightseeing tickets.
- VAT and other taxes
- 24/7 hotline support guaranteed
- International flight tickets and airport tax.
- Lunches and dinners, except as specified above.
- Drinks, gratuities and personal expenses.
- Travel insurance
- Surcharges for Peak seasons (if any)
- Vietnam visa stamp fee
- Other services not mentioned above.