Con Dao archipelago consist a chain of 15 islands in which Con Son is the main with some charming beaches that very peaceful and tranquil. Some can be reached on foot, but the better locations will be involved by a long hike or taking motorbike. Even though there are more and more daily direct flights from Ho Chi Minh City, the archipelago is still somehow rather isolated and, as a result, its beaches are keeping virgin and untouched. The main island also offers some of qualified accommodations such as in Saigon-Con Dao hotel and special restaurants with delicious seafood that enable any comfortable visit of traveler.
Day 1: Ho Chi Minh - Con Dao (Lunch, Guide)
In the morning, you’ll take a flight to Con Dao. On arrival, you’ll be driven to your hotel. You’ll then ride on the back of a motorbike to the Con Dao National Park headquarters. From there, you’ll head for the Ong Dung Bay for a half -hour hike along a small path through the rain forest - you may see some of the typical island fauna en-route. After a picnic lunch, you’ll have time to relax, sunbathe or snorkel off the beach. You’ll return to the quiet town for dinner and overnight stay.
Alternative activity at Ong Dung Bay:
You’ll then board a boat to Hon Tre Lon Island for scuba diving or snorkelling. This island is one of the best places to see diverse coral reef and reef fish. After a picnic lunch, you’ll continue your cruise to the Ben Dam Bay for sunset, weather permitting of course. You’ll stay overnight on the island.
Day 2: Con Dao (Breakfast, Lunch, Guide)
In the early morning, the motorbike will take you to the Sharp Cape for sunrise, weather permitting. If you’re lucky, you’ll catch the striking island sunrises and the departing fishing boats - good photographic opportunities! After a light breakfast, you’ll be able to dive around the cape.
After a seafood lunch at a local restaurant, you’ll visit the town on the back of a motorbike. The main element will be the island’s large prison complex. It was in use for more than a hundred years, first by the French and, later, the South Vietnam Army. Many people were tortured and/or executed - the infamous French ‘Tiger Cages’ are still in place. You’ll stay overnight on the island.
In the early morning, the motorbike will take you to the Sharp Cape for sunrise. With luck and weather permitting, you’ll see the departing fishing boats silhouetted against a striking sunrise - good photographic opportunities! From there, a boat will take you to Hon Bay Canh Island, one of the major sea turtle nesting sites. After a three-hour hike through the dense forest and a relaxing picnic lunch, you’ll settle down to await the turtles. As dusk begins to fall, the female turtles come ashore to lay their eggs – an amazing event. Later, you’ll return to the town to spenf the night.
The turtles are carefully protected by rangers who will explain why visitors must follow their instructions so that none are injured or unsettled. Once the visitors have returned to their hotels, the rangers collect the eggs and put them into an incubator to prevent poaching by local people – the islanders are poor and turtle eggs attract a high price. Income from the tourists who pay to watch this remarkable sight helps to conserve the species.
Day 3: Con Dao (Breakfast, Lunch, Guide)
You’ll then visit the town on the back of a motorbike. The main element will be the island’s large prison complex. It was in use for more than a hundred years, first by the French and, later, the South Vietnam Army. Many people were tortured and/or executed - the infamous French ‘Tiger Cages’ are still in place. After a seafood lunch at a local restaurant in the later afternoon, you’ll be free for a swim or just relax.
Day 4: Con Dao - Ho Chi Minh City (Breakfast, Driver pickup)
After breakfast, you’ll be picked up to the airport for a flight to Ho Chi Minh City and arrive near lunch time with the rest of the day to do as you wish. You’ll spend the night in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Breakfast and accommodation sharing a twin or double room.
- Vietnam Visa On Arrival pre-approved letter.
- Pick-ups and transfers by private air-conditioned vehicle as specified in the itinerary above (Please note: pick-ups will be by a guide and driver or, where a guide is not necessary, a driver only. All unaccompanied drivers will be briefed in advance, and will carry a mobile phone to ensure smooth transfer arrangements)
- Domestic flight tickets: Ho Chi Minh City – Con Dao – Ho Chi Minh City, including domestic airport taxes.
- Travel in an appropriate private air-conditioned vehicle with an experienced safe driver.
- The services of experienced English-speaking guides as indicated in the itinerary (please note: guides will be on hand from pick-up until guests’ return to their hotel or reaching their destination). Free days or part days will not include the services of a guide unless requested and included in the final itinerary.
- Where necessary, entry fees for all visits as mentioned in the programme.
- VAT and other taxes
- International flight tickets and airport tax.
- Lunches and dinners, except as specified above.
- Drinks, gratuities and personal expenses.
- Surcharges for Peak seasons (if any)
- Compulsory meal (if any)